Lil Wayne’s Prison Sentencing Delayed By Courthouse Fire

March 2nd, 2010 by Daniel Kreps Leave a reply »

Photo: Polk/Getty

A fire at the New York City courthouse where Lil Wayne was scheduled to be sentenced today has forced the proceedings to be postponed, a source at the 100 Centre St. court house tells Rolling Stone. The fire allegedly started in the basement of the courthouse and forced everyone at the location to evacuate the building. Neither Lil Wayne nor his legal team were present in the courthouse at the time of the blaze, as it occurred before Weezy was expected to arrive at the building. A source tells RS the building will be shut down for the remainder of the day and all jurors on the scene were told to get their belongings and exit the premises. The New York Fire Department said that a boiler may be responsible for the fire, which filled the courthouse’s lobby with a haze of smoke.

Lil Wayne’s World: look back at the rapper’s rise in photos.

At press time, it remains unclear whether Lil Wayne’s hearing will be moved to another venue or postponed until a later date. Given the number of people in Wayne’s legal party, officials might seek to simply move today’s scheduled proceeding to another venue. A court spokesperson did say however that all court proceedings for today had been postponed. According to NY1, five firefighters, two civilians and one criminal all suffered minor injuries as a result of the fire.

As Rolling Stone previously reported, Lil Wayne was originally scheduled to begin serving his sentence after pleading guilty to weapons charges stemming from a 2007 arrest on February 9th, however some last-minute dental procedures—reportedly eight root canals—led the judge to postpone Weezy’s sentencing until today. The judge was adamant that Wayne be sentenced on March 2nd, telling the rapper and his legal team that there would be no more delays.

Wayne, who is expected to...

Article Source: Rolling Stone : Rock and Roll Daily


Leave a Reply